Tips to Tune Out Screen Time
Children spend at least four hours a day viewing technology like television, video games, tablets and mobile phones. They are likely logging more screen time than any other activity during the day, including exercise.
The following tips can help reduce screen time in your home:
- Limit all types of screen time to no more than 2 hours a day.
- Take the TV out of your child's bedroom. Children with TVs in their rooms keep their eyes on the screen an average of 1.5 hours more a day.
- Avoid using TV or other technology as a reward or punishment. It can inflate its importance.
- As an alternate reward for your child, try a trip to the park, a festival, playground, or a visit to a relative's or friend's house instead.
- Involve your child in non-screen-related activities, such as sports or a hobby.
- Encourage play and exercise for your child. Plan other fun activities for your child, so he or she has choices instead of using technology.
- Do not allow TV watching or using tablets during mealtimes.